Running the Disney Princess Half Marathon magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

Monday, October 11, 2010

Goals, motivation, and moving forwad

As some of you know it's been a little rough for me the past few months in terms of staying on track. Life can really get in the way of your best intentions! I've done a lot of thinking and praying about this and I know that I'm not giving up. I'm going to get to my end goal, and I'm going to be healthy and fit. It's just going to take some time, and I'm not really able to predict how long because I honestly don't know.

I do know that I can do my best to set realistic, achievable goals for the short term and the long term that will help me along in this journey to health and wellness. And I also know that these goals will help me stay motivated and keep moving forward, even if it is at a snails pace. :)

We're in the countdown to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Only 6 more days! I haven't gotten in the training I was hoping for due to sinus infection and life in general, but my goal still stands. My goal is to jog the entire race and to finish faster than my last 5K at less than 48 minutes (I'd really like to see it less than 45 minutes!).

My next goal is to run a 5k on the November 6th for the American Diabetes Association. Again, I want run the whole thing, and shave off time (even if it's just a few seconds).

I got a little ambitious and signed up for a 15K for the following weekend! I'm a little nervous about this one, but know that I have plenty of training time in front or me, and I also know that it will be a good preparation for the half marathon in February. For the 15K my goal is to run the whole thing (9.3 miles) and try to average a 16 minute mile pace. If I can do that, I think it will help my fears of being swept at the half. :)

To achieve these goals I've done a couple different things. First, I've started the Couch to 5K program and also downloaded an app to train for the half. Apart from the last 2 weeks, I've gone jogging 5-7 days a week about 2 miles each time. Also, to help with the endurance part for the longer runs I've planned, I've started using my elliptical. Yesterday I did 5 miles! And I did it in 75 minutes which is approximately a 15 minute mile pace! I really like have the milage goal on the elliptical rather than a time goal like I used to do because I can control how long it takes me to do the miles. :)

I've still got so far to go, but I'm feeling pretty positive that I will get there. I have a lot of bad habits, wrong thinking, and negativity to overcome and it's going to take some time to do that. Here's to changing my life one day at a time!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I really relate to so many aspects of your blog. I am 37 yrs old and am 5'10" tall and weigh just over 300 lbs (I just hit the 300 lb mark a few weeks back - my highest weight ever, it is painful to look at the number on the scale and even here as I type it- I can't quite believe I've let myself get to this point).

    Like you I am addicted to food and emotional eating and want nothing more than to have a child. I have been married 6 and a half years to a wonderful man who has loved me through thick and thicker lol (when we met I weighed 220 lbs and I thought that was huge). I can't understand why I am unable to lose this weight despite my desperation to have a child...and I completely agree with you that it boils to not feeling that I am worth it or deserving of good things.

    I admire your honesty about your struggle over the past few months, it is hard to admit the truth especially to those who are closest to you. I also find Nancy to be so inspirational, I just read her blog and discovered that she was pregnant with her 2nd child. I admit that although I was very happy for her it felt as though a knife was twisting in my heart as I want this so desperately for myself & my husband. Why can't I do this? I am 37 yrs old and time is running out for me!

    I just wanted to send you a message of support, to let you know that you are not alone in your journey. I am also struggling with the same challenges everyday. I am praying for you and support you in your journey to health, wellness and motherhood.

    Hang in there Amy, you can do it!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I am sad that you have not blogged for almost 2 weeks. I hope you are doing okay. Losing the weight is not easy and keeping the pounds off is the other half of this journey. Many of us cannot do this alone. Reaching out and connecting with others helps. Keep writing and keep doing - you can get healthy and lose the weight one day at a time!
    If you are interested, I blog at keepingthepoundsoff.com . My starting weight was 385 lbs (the day I turned 40 ) and today I am 49 and weigh 172 lbs. I KNOW you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    I saw you on the Dr. Oz show last year and I can't believe I stumbled on your blog. All I can say is wow! I'm so impressed with what you've accomplished so far. You've inspired me to get my rear end in gear and quit procrastinating. I'm not getting any younger and I can really feel how abusive I've been to my body. My knees hurt all the time and I just don't have much energy. I'm in my 40's and I've struggled with my weight since my teen years. I just want to encourage you to keep going. It doesn't matter how long it takes you, just keep heading in the right direction. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete