Running the Disney Princess Half Marathon magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 17

Tonight we tried a new recipe -- stuffed peppers. I'm not a huge fan of peppers, but have gotten more a taste for them since meeting my husband. :) We cooked up some Basmati rice, ground turkey, a chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper. They were so yummy!

Since starting this journey I have learned that I used to eat a LOT of rice! And it was not healthy or wholesome Basmati or long grain rice either. It was also loaded with butter spread which is obviously loaded with calories and fat... not good.

Well, I have not had rice (of any kind) in the past 17 days until tonight. Mostly because I was literally afraid that I would not be able to stop at one portion. Well, we made the rice mixture to stuff in the peppers and of course there was quite a bit left over. I stood there in my kitchen looking at the bowl of rice. I took a bite, and it was so tasty... and then I took another bite. UGH! So ticked at myself for not putting the rice away rather than leaving the temptation sitting out...

All in all I basically ate a full portion (a half cup) of the rice before I finally realized I am eating away my results! So I put it in the fridge, and went to the living room and drank my water. What is stranger still is the fact that I am still thinking about the yummy rice!! LOL

Normally, I would not be able to talk about the fact that I gave in to temptation. And I certainly would not include it in my food journal. In my mind, to do so would be to say that I failed. But what I am realizing is that I didn't fail. I haven't lost the last 17 days because I had an extra 1/2 cup of rice. Was it a good choice? No, of course not. Did I learn from it? Absolutely!

This journey is going to be a long one, and if I hide things and refuse to learn along the way then I WILL fail. So I'm admitting my mistakes and poor choices because failure is NOT an option! :)

1 comment:

  1. I saw you on Dr. Oz and love your story. I have been losing weight for a couple of years now and am down 36 pounds. I would like to lose another 30. Following you will surely help me! I like the way you admitted the rice thing. I have found that I have to THROW excess down the garbage disposal. It is much easier to not have temptation around me! I would surely get up in the middle of the night and eat it!

    ReplyDelete